Saturday, June 9, 2007

Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones

I try to eat things that are low glycemic index because I don't want to get diabetes. Sadly, I love baking and most of what I bake usually isn't too great for me. Luckily for me, however, there are a lot of great whole grain flours that you can bake yummy things with. Oat flour has been a favorite of mine forever, but it doesn't have gluten so you sometimes have to add something that does. Baking with oat flour often yields baked goods that are a bit on the crumbly side.

Do you know what else is a bit on the crumbly side? Scones! I love scones, and I especially love these scones. I adapted the recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance and added chocolate chips.

3 cups oat flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar (I used turbinado plus 2 dropperfulls of vanilla stevia)
Chickpea flour, as needed

1 1/4 cup soy or rice milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400F and put some parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spray with whatever you use for baking. I like Pam for baking (the kind with flour in it).

You know the drill. Sift together the dry ingredients (saving the chickpea flour for the end). Mix together the wet ingredients and the chocolate chips. Add wet and dry. At this point, check the consistency of your dough. VWAV says it should be "clumpy, not sticky." This is true. You don't want cookies. Too much moisture will kill the scone. Too little will dry it out. Start sifting in some chickpea flour until you get a thicker consistency.

Drop in giant spoonfuls on the cookie sheet and sprinkle the tops with some turbinado sugar. Bake for about 14 minutes. The scones should be fairly solid on top. The bottoms will be just browned. Cool on a wire rack.

I imagine that these would also be great with dried cranberries and almonds. I'll try that next time and add some almond extract instead of vanilla.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rhonda L. Thomas said...

Hi ... just came across your scone recipe as I was looking for something to make for a friend who is allergic to almost everything. I was curious about the Vanilla Stevia you used - was that to suppliment the sweetness of the Turbinado?

Anyway, thank you for your time! And thanks for posting some tasty looking recipes (I briefly caught a glance at the Blueberry Lemon cupcakes ... Oh. My. Goodness! YUM!!)

Rhonda Thomas
Davis, CA

aimi said...

Rhonda-Thanks for your comment. This was quite awhile ago but I think I did use the vanilla stevia to make the scones a bit sweeter/avoid having to use much sugar. It also probably substituted for vanilla extract. Just using turbinado (or a better baking sugar--back then this was all I had) is just fine. Stevia actually is not that great for baking as it leaves a funny taste but the chocolate in these covered it up.