Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Diabetes-free Vanilla Cream Soda

I really like drinking soda but I'm deathly afraid of high fructose corn syrup and aspartame, which eliminates a lot of my options. Lately, I've been experimenting with Stevia baking, with fairly good results, so I've expanded to sodas. You can get flavored liquid Stevia in bottles with droppers at your local health food store. I get mine at my local farmer's market. There are all kinds of flavors: orange, root beer, vanilla, strawberry, cherry. These are great for flavoring desserts and anything that asks for these extracts plus the addition of sugar. They're also great in creating flavored sodas. You can add them to your cola if you so desire, or make your own.

Vanilla Cream Soda

1 c sparkling water (mineral water is fine but has a salty taste so sometimes just normal carbonated water is best)
3 drops of liquid vanilla stevia

Pour sparkling water into a glass. Add stevia drop by drop and gently stir. You don't want to stir too much because the soda will lose its fizz. Add ice and serve.

This is great with grilled veggie burgers and polenta fries. Mmmm.

No comments: