Thursday, November 22, 2007

Unturkey Day Quick Vegan Microwave Gravy

I just made this up to go with my kitchenette Thanksgiving lunch. It was served over Quorn chicken cutlets, alongside vegan collard greens and macaroni and soy cheese. I usually go all out for Thanksgiving, because I like showing people that even veg*ns can eat big awesome meals that everyone can enjoy. This year, I've opted to be more minimalist for a number of personal reasons, but I did want to see what I could put together in my kitchenette.

Quick Vegan Microwave Gravy

3 tablespoons of vegan chicken-style broth
1 teaspoon Earth Balance spread or another vegan margarine
3 tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat)
salt, pepper to taste

Makes 1 serving

1. In a coffee mug, microwave broth and Earth Balance spread until Earth Balance is melted (about 30 seconds).
2. Remove from microwave.
3. Whisk in flour and seasoning.
4. Microwave for another 30 seconds.
5. Taste and re-season. I ended up using sea salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic salt, and chili pepper.
6. Serve over vegan meat substitute or biscuits.

Happy Unturkey Day everyone!

No comments: