Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Review: Flying Biscuit, Candler Park, GA



The Flying Biscuit is great for a number of reasons: they serve breakfast all day, have vegan and vegetarian items on the menu, and can substitute soy sausage into any of the meaty omelette/tofu-scramble type dishes. The bakery is famous for its biscuits and cranberry apple butter, but my favorite thing is the love cakes.

Love cakes are little black bean and cornmeal cakes topped with tomatillo salsa and feta cheese. They are served warm, usually with rosemary potatoes for breakfast or a side salad for dinner. I'm going to experiment with making my own a few times and see what I get because I crave them often.

My dinner consisted of 3 love cakes, salad with champagne vinegrette, and a flying biscuit. My friends' consisted of the barbeque chicken burrito, which is stuffed with collard greens, carmelized onions, and barbeque sauce, then topped with heaps and heaps of red salsa. I obviously can't speak for his food, but mine was awesome, and definitely a well-priced departure from the same old same old (I've probably eaten at Willy's 10 times since Saturday, or it sure feels like it). If you're in the ATL and looking for a place with a little menu diversity and creativity, definitely stop by the Flying Biscuit, unless it's Sunday morning, in which case, good luck getting a table.

No comments: