Monday, July 23, 2007

Review: Kathy’s, Seattle International Airport

The Seattle airport, though small, is just stunning. It took me a long time to find a place to eat, not because there were so few restaurants with vegetarian options but because there were too many. There was even a Wolfgang Puck in my concourse. I settled for a place called Kathy’s, admittedly because it was so aesthetically appealing. Chic gray tables and chairs, hanging overheard lights, very minimalist with everything in nice packaging. There was a small a la carte gourmet food section in the front, and then a bakery and panini sandwiches in a glass case. I had the “Extreme Grilled Cheese,” which was herbed goat cheese, muenster, and Monterrey Jack, I think. I was pretty excited about it, because I make sandwiches like this on my Foreman grill at home all the time.

That is, sans the butter spray. My sandwich was put inside a heat protective pocket until I told the waitress that I would be eating at the restaurant. She handed me a paper plate. I sat down and tried to get the sandwich out of the pocket. It was impossible, because the greasiness of the bread (from the butter spray) and the excessively melted cheese had sealed it inside. I ended up having to tear it off. By the end, I was covered in faux butter spray and cheese. The excessive grease had also made the otherwise crisp bread soggy. I finished feeling heavy. I guess this is what I get for not being a vegan, but it would really not have been very hard to spray a little less, add some tomato slices, and cut down on the cheese. I’m definitely not eating there again on the way home.

No comments: